Do you know what is the most surefire way to do a fitness regimen at home effectively? It’s by making minimum fuss and sticking with the basics. So, here are 5 basic exercises to do at home:
1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and keep your arms down at your sides.
2. Step forward with your right leg and bending your right knee as you are doing so. Stop only when your thigh is parallel to the ground. Make sure that your right knee is not extended past your right foot.
3. Use your right foot to push off before returning to the starting position. Repeat the same using the left leg. This makes one rep.
4. Do 10 reps to make 3 sets.
1. Hold a plank position. Keep your core tight, your shoulders pulled down and back, and your neck in a neutral position.
2. Bend your elbows before starting to lower your body down to the floor. After your chest grazes the floor, extend your elbows before returning to the start. Make sure you keep your elbows close to your body.
3. Finish 3 sets of as many reps as you can.
If the standard pushup is too difficult, try to a modified stance on your knees — you’ll still enjoy the benefits of this exercise while building strength.
1. Stand straight and keep your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width, with your arms at your sides.
2. Tighten your core and, keep your chest and chin up while pushing your hips back and bending your knees.
3. Make sure that your knees don’t bow inward or outward. Drop down until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Then, bring your arms out in front of you. Hold for one second before extending your legs and returning to the starting position.
4. Finish 3 sets of 20 reps.
4. Standing overhead dumbbell presses (Modified)
Equipment: Water bottles
1. Use water bottles of 1 L (filled). Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Move the weights overhead until your upper arms are parallel to the floor.
2. Tighten your core and push up until your arms are fully extended over your head. Don’t move your head and neck.
3. Hold for a moment before bending your elbows and lowering the weight back down until your tricep becomes parallel to the floor again.
4. Complete 3 sets of 12 reps.
5. Dumbbell rows (Modified)
Equipment: Water bottles
1. Start with a water bottle in each hand.
2. Bend forward at the waist until your back is at a 45-degree angle to the ground. Do not arch your back. Make sure that your neck is in line with your back and your core is tightened.
3. Bend your right elbow and pull the weight straight up toward your chest, ensuring to engage your lat, and stop just below your chest.
4. Go back to the starting position and do the same with the left arm. This makes one rep. Repeat the same 10 times for 3 sets.