Lungs are the one organ in our body that works almost tirelessly. They are also the most abused. Thanks to the current pandemic, taking care of our lungs has become a necessity. The first and most obvious step is to quit smoking. Other than that there are a few natural remedies that can be beneficial in improving your breathing capacity and get a set of stronger lungs.
*Keep in mind that these remedies can in no way substitute actual medical advice and if you have any trouble breathing then contact the local HealthLine number immediately
1. Deep breathing is one of the best ways for improving your breathing capacity. It’s also one of the easiest methods. One of the best ways to practice deep breathing is to do yoga every day and be regular.
2. Doing any kind of exercise helps in streamlining your breathing pattern. Be more involved in activities like swimming, jogging, or trekking to help improve your breathing.
3. Water is the ultimate medicine. It can cure many issues related to our body. Drinking water regularly improves blood flow, which in turn keeps your lungs hydrated.
4. This may seem a bit disgusting but having pungent food items like garlic or onion helps in reducing cholesterol and fighting infections that affect the lungs.
5. The spicy compound in capsicum is beneficial because it improves blood flow and fights off infections.
6. Nuts and seeds that are rich in magnesium like almonds, cashews, and Brazil nuts are a very useful part of your diet. They maintain your health and contribute to a healthy lung function.
7. Drink citrus regularly. The fruit is rich in vitamin C and helps the lungs to transfer oxygen more efficiently.
8. Similarly, pumpkin is also rich in vitamin C, and eating pumpkin lowers the chances of lung diseases. Carrots also have a similar property and can help in fighting off diseases.
9. Drink a glass of warm milk mixed with turmeric every night. It helps in fighting off infections and lung diseases. It also keeps that annoying cold at bay.
10. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that help in getting rid of pollutants from the lungs. You can have them raw or mix them in your food.
11. Try to improve indoor air quality. Use tools like indoor air filters and avoid pollutants like artificial fragrances, mold, and dust.
12. Stop smoking, and avoid environmental irritants, and even secondhand smoke.
13. Green tea has many antioxidants that help in reducing inflammation in the lungs. These compounds even protect lung tissue from the harmful effects of smoke inhalation.